[pacman-dev] MD5/SHA* why?

Christian Hamar [krix] krics at gds.hu
Wed Jul 4 13:27:37 EDT 2007

>  > On 7/3/07, Andrew Fyfe <andrew at neptune-one.net> wrote:
>  >> I asked this question a while ago about makepkg now I'm asking about
>  >> pacman... why do we need support for multiple checksum types? What's
>  >> wrong with md5?

> My problem is more with the fact that we have 5 functions and 1 field in
> pmpkg_t for each checksum and we have to do

Hey there.

Maybe you are using an "outdated" code piece in pacman3 arch version.

When frugalware team contributed back into pacman then there were some
discussion about md5->sha1 change. We used multiple checksum (for md5
and for sha1) because of backward compatibility. So when we switched
from md5 to sha1 then users did not noticed anything. Because pacman
supported md5 and sha1 too. Now in pacman-g2 this md5 code part isn't
neccessary anymore.

And i think at you (pacman3) dont need this one if you wont want to
switch to sha1.

So afterall: multiple checksum routins (md5 and sha1 in same time) was
in the code because of backward compatibility. (we did this way too when
we switched from gzipped packages to bzip2ed packages)

Regards
-krix-