[pacman-dev] Can the update of a package induce the update of its depends?

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:31:54 EDT 2007

On 7/5/07, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> and user does a "pacman -S audacious". In this case the installed
> audacious-plugins will be broken, because it thinks that audacious is
> installed to /usr. The dir change of audacious wasn't planned so

Users can't, and shouldn't, assume that they can cherrypick what
software they update, and expect their system to work properly. The
easiest solution, of course, is to merely make it well known that
people should be doing -Syu to update and never -S. I think most users
understand this.

If you did want to handle this scenario for users, I think rather than
having the maintainer have to deal with this, it'd be better to have
pacman check if the package's dependencies have updates on a -S
command also (e.g. pacman -S audacious implicitly means pacman -S
audacious and any audacious deps). But again, users should be in the
habit of upgrading their entire system.

Scott