[pacman-dev] FS#7525: Permissions of .pacnew files

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Sun Jul 8 13:37:39 EDT 2007

Move the discussion to the ML...

Pacman wrote:
> THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE, DO NOT REPLY.
>
> The following task has a new comment added:
>
> FS#7525 - Permissions of .pacnew files
> User who did this - Xavier (shining)
>
> ----------
> Well then, maybe we could read the whole archive a first time, for
> determining how to handle backup files (on the fly md5 computation),
> and we record this information somehow.
> And then a second time, where we actually extract the files.
>
> Otherwise, the files in backup array are always small config files
> afaik, but well, it could be indeed be safer
> to avoid putting the whole file in memory.
>
> Oh well, finally, the current behavior is alright I guess, and this is
> probably not the correct place for discussing about things anyway (silly
> me).
> So I think this bug could be closed now :)
> ----------

I've been thinking of another solution, include some more information in
  .FILELIST eg:

# directory name
d usr
d usr/bin
# file name checksum
f usr/bin/foo md5sum
# link name target
l usr/bin/bar foo

This way we can get the md5sum from the file list rather than having to
extract the file to get it's md5sum.

Andrew