[pacman-dev] Can the update of a package induce the update of its depends?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:24:47 EDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you did want to handle this scenario for users, I think rather than
> having the maintainer have to deal with this, it'd be better to have
> pacman check if the package's dependencies have updates on a -S
> command also (e.g. pacman -S audacious implicitly means pacman -S
> audacious and any audacious deps). But again, users should be in the
> habit of upgrading their entire system.

I actually kind of like this behavior, and I know I've expected/wanted
it at different points... I think it's definitely easier.... here's a
use case:

pacman -S bar (installs bar 1.0)
... bar is upgraded to 1.1 which means foo needs a recompile ...
pacman -Sy
pacman -S foo (installs the foo compiled against bar 1.1 but bar 1.0
is not upgraded).

Now see, technically we can blame this on not using 'bar=1.1' in the
deps, BUT we can't expect things like this all the time.  I mean, in
this case there is an OBVIOUS intent to mean that, it's just not
written down.