[pacman-dev] [patch] resolvedeps cleanup + pactest

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:05:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:15:12PM +0200, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu wrote:
> Back to pacman:
> There is a problem with the old/new resolvedeps: this is not
> deterministic (multiple provision) and sometimes one choice is better
> than an other one: for example "choice A" induces a package conflict,
> and choice B would solve the problem and would install the required
> package (and its dependencies) but pacman is not clever enough to find
> "choice B"...

Hmm, the old way was already not good, but after your patch, it's worse imo,
because we lose the simple hint of trying the actual package name first.
I think that's what we want in most cases when we let pacman auto resolve the
dependencies for us.
One example :
I install acidrip which depends on mplayer, I most likely want mplayer to be
pulled, not mplayer-svn.
If pacman has to make one blind choice, I think it should rather try the
actual package first.
But well, that's already what you wanted to do for speed concern :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-June/008539.html