[pacman-dev] Maelstrom(Pacman in C#) project brief

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:50:01 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 08:57:53PM +0200, VMiklos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Na Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 05:40:40PM +0300, Bozhidar Batsov <lordbad at e-card.bg> pisal(a):
> > Well I have no intention to fork Arch. I strive to make a product 100%
> > compatible with the existing, but I want to offer through it a few
> > things that are missing in pacman and a couple of newer technologies. I
> > don't think that mono is a bad thing just because .NET is a Microsoft
> > product. After all Miguel de Icaza has stated many times that if he had
> > mono 8 years ago there wouldn't be one line of C code in GNOME. I
> > personally consider it to be a much better framework than java. Style
> > and consistency are almost perfect here. Pascal notation for methods,
> > camel for vars, great generics, great datatypes, security...
>
> let's say you would write this in python or perl, we would have the same
> problem: pacman is a lowlevel tool, it should be fast and have as less
> deps as possible. mono can be a great tool but are you sure it's nice to
> have the whole mono framework in an install cd?

How is a package manager a low level tool?
And speed doesn't seem to be the primary concern of pacman, seeing the
inefficiency of many things it does. (mostly the backend, but also doing
many things multiple times, and not using appropriate data structures).

I can only agree with the last point, it's indeed not cool to make a huge
framework necessary in base, especially if it's only used by one app.