[pacman-dev] [patch] alpm_removedeps bug+fix && alpm_depcmp-discussion

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:27:29 EDT 2007

2007/6/18, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>:

> As you see, this patch contains my usual "for (pkg in pkgcache)
> if(alpm_depcmp(pkg, depend))..." stuff. We should discuss something now:
> This method has a drawback sometimes in speed:
> This method implicitly reads the pkgcache with full pkginfo, because
> alpm_depcmp needs provisions. If we've already done this (or we need to
> do this later) or we must collect ALL dependency satisfier in pkgcache
> this is not a problem. However, for example if we just want to know if
> there is ANY package in pkgcache which satisfies a dependency
> (something similar to can_remove_package without using requiredby
> fields), then FIRST check for package names THEN for providers is
> probably faster, if the pkgcache is loaded with pkgname-pkgver info
> only: because we have great chance to find a satisfier pkgname-pkgver
> pair and we can stop, we can answer the question without reading the
> ugly PKGINFO files for providers.

Hmm, maybe this is an interesting idea, I don't know, but can't we
decide about this later ?
Once all this repetitive code is moved to one function, then it'll
probably be much easier to see the benefit of only looking at
providers in a second time.
Sorry if I didn't understand or overlooked something :)

Thanks