[pacman-dev] [patch] alpm_removedeps bug+fix && alpm_depcmp-discussion

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:35:05 EDT 2007

On 6/18/07, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I attached the pactest file and my patch. I also made some
> modifications in alpm_removedeps' args, because the old one was a bit
> messy for me. And I think that my version is faster.
>
> can_remove_package is a bit stupid (compared to alpm_checkdeps), but I
> leave it untouched, because speed is more important here than
> "perfection".

IMO, doing things right is what we want to do in 99% of the cases this
speed vs. perfection issue comes up, so I'm going to disagree with you
here.

In addition, to assume anything only makes an ass out of u (you) and
me. I don't want to introduce any functions that depend on a
particular quirk of our list implementation, especially since this is
one of the things we have considered changing.

I feel that if we look at the bigger picture and stop thinking of add,
remove, and sync as isolated actions, then we could get some HUGE
refactoring and code reduction going on with cases like this. However,
this will be one large undertaking.