[pacman-dev] Color patch again

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:22:49 EDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this back, I also wanted to hear the status of this.
>
> But I believe pacman still requires a lot of cleaning / refactoring in
> many places, so not sure if it's ready for getting new features.
> It should really depend on the parts of the code affected by this
> patch, how ready they are, and also how this patch implements this
> feature.
> Dan and Aaron should be more able to answer this than me..
>
> Seems like pacman development has slowed down a lot, compared to the
> beginning of this year, while there is still so much to do :(

Oooo, this implementation is starting to get much closer to what we
want and need, as the color sequences and such are not hardcoded in
multiple places.

As said above, pacman development has been a bit slow as I've been
working alone on it for a bit, and even I have had quite a few other
things to take care of. In addition, every time I want to add a new
feature I find about 5 other sections in the code that look like they
are in need of a rewrite or rethinking. There is a chance this could
make it in, although at the same time I'd like to get the output
situation of pacman working a lot better than it is now. It is a
convoluted mix of functions and strings in both the backend and
frontend, and that is too much complexity.

Long story short- this looks good, and it will eventually make its way
into pacman. So don't fret- your work hasn't good to waste. Is there a
pacman-color AUR package for now, at least?