[pacman-dev] libarchive issue

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:37:26 EDT 2007

2007/6/26, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com>:
> 1) why pacman got permission of /tmp wrong with old libarchive, while
> old bsdtar gets them right?

I can already answer this :
it's caused by backup files. When pacman extracts the filesystem
package, it also extracts all backup files to /tmp/alpm_XXXXXX first
for checking the md5sum.
By removing this step, pacman gets the /tmp permission right, even
when compiled against libarchive 1.3.1 , just like bsdtar 1.3.1 :)
If we could somehow avoid extracting to real files, just for getting
the md5sum, we should get a decent behavior from pacman with
libarchive 1.3.1.

But since libarchive 2.2.3 takes care of this case, it possibly has
other improvement as well, so it's maybe still better to figure out
how to use it correctly.

I'm just glad I finally understood something (even if only partially :
I don't know what libarchive 2.2.3 does for handling this case that
libarchive 1.3.1 didn't).