[pacman-dev] What I'm working on- feedback welcome

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:31:59 EDT 2007

2007/6/4, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> I've got quite a few branches going on my GIT tree at the moment, and
> I'd appreciate any feedback from some of you on the list. They are all
> accessible here: http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi.
>
> * alpm.c_cleanup- move all of the alpm_pkg functions to package.c,
> alpm_db functions to db.c, etc. Basically put things where they
> logically belong leaving only the library initialization functions in
> alpm.c. This is ready to merge; I'm waiting because it could
> potentially break a lot for anyone else that has something that
> touched this file.
>
> * alpm_list_speed- this was just a test branch to see how much we were
> losing in efficiency by not having O(1) access to both ends of a list.
> Answer: a lot. pacman -Qo operations are a lot faster on this branch.
> However, this isn't meant for merge, it was more of a quick hack-job.
>
> * db_test- Add a pacman -Qt operation which tests the integrity of
> your database; ported over from the Frugalware pacman-g2.
>
> * frontend_config- move the pacman.conf parsing to the frontend where
> it belongs. Move a few pacman-only settings out of the library. In
> general, try to clean up where options and configs are stored.
>
> * gettext- gettext the remaining scripts in the scripts/ directory.
> I've had these patches sitting around for a while but never got them
> applied. Ready to be merged.
>
> * working- remove some hardcoded paths from the pacman binary, making
> everything configurable at runtime instead of compile time through
> pacman.conf. This means the only path now hardcoded into the pacman
> binary is that to pacman.conf, and no paths are compiled into libalpm.
>
> As I said, feedback on any of these is welcome and appreciated.

Hm, that's already old, and wasn't able to look at any of these
changes in details, but I suppose they are fine. afaik there is only
the alpm_list_speed branch left now.

But I've something to say about the config (and download) code that
were in the backend :
It seems like everyone agreed these belonged to the frontend (Aurelien
first, then later, Aaron, Dan and Georg). Only vmiklos wanted these in
the backend (not without arguments), see the first discussion there :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-January/005552.html

Then later Aaron joined, and had to merge all frugalware change, which
resulted in HUGE commits, including the move of config and download
code to the backend.
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-September/005884.html
http://projects.archlinux.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=d37ad048732fbcef38aec001993553896dbe4198
http://projects.archlinux.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=3f27542156125118800235c5ac1bac125fd7752c

Note : I'm not blaming anyone here, and don't think anyone did anything bad,
just thought this history was important to know :)