[pacman-dev] pacman3 Proxy Support

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:09:08 EST 2007

On 3/6/07, Georg Grabler <ggrabler at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2nd thing is: I realized why pacman actually did not use any proxy server.
>
> I had the http_proxy and ftp_proxy exported.
> Pacman does not realize this two variables as valid proxy variables
> (case sensitive in this case, FTP_PROXY, HTTP_PROXY). Most shell
> programs support http_proxy and ftp_proxy as well.

libdownload checks both of these, but it DOES check the capitalized
version first (which might cause problems).  Could you perhaps try
with the all lowercase version, and run pacman with --debug=2 (dump it
to a file, it's a lot of output) and send the output to me (or the
list)?

> What i also recognized is that a proxy server without leading http://
> won't suite pacman. The connection simply times out, just using
> blah.sublan.org as proxy, instead of http://blah.sublan.org. As above,
> most programs support exporting a proxy wihtout http://, i simply
> didn't expect this behaviour (hopefully i'm the only one who will ever
> do this two mistakes at once).

Hmmm libdownload should also cover this case.  If the "scheme" (http,
ftp, etc...) is not set, it defaults to http:// for http_proxy and
ftp:// for ftp_proxy.  This informations may also be in the above
debugging info I requested.

Thanks