[pacman-dev] permission/location for var/abs and cache/src

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:32:40 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> we still preset the values to /var/abs and /var/cache/pacman/{src,pkg}
> but recommend to use an unprivileged user for all that
> packaging stuff.
>
> this forces everybody to lower the directory permissions or raise the
> user up into a certain group or even give sudo permissions.

No it doesn't.  Like almost every config ever, if the user wants to
change the value, they change the value.  You *can* change the value -
that's why it's there.

> i think adding a new group "packager" holding these directories could
> solve that.
This should be managed by the end user, not by us.

I don't understand this really - the commented value is the default
value for the setting.  This is fairly common (see, for instance,
xine's config file).  If you want it changed, you uncomment it and
change it.