[pacman-dev] repo-add DB entry size

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 09:51:22 EDT 2007

I've noticed that our sync DB entries got a lot bigger with the new
repository generation tools. Are we sure we want this?

Here is a DB entry produced by repo-add:
$ cat custom/pacman-3.0.0-rc2/desc
%FILENAME%
pacman-3.0.0-rc2-i686.pkg.tar.gz

%NAME%
pacman

%VERSION%
3.0.0-rc2

%DESC%
A library-based package manager with dependency support

%CSIZE%
791331

%ISIZE%
2014429

%MD5SUM%
263805fff1ce59550f37a22dac468a31

%URL%
http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/

%LICENSE%
GPL

%ARCH%
i686

%BUILDDATE%
Mon Mar 12 18:05:54 2007

%PACKAGER%
Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>

%REPLACES%
pacman-rc

And a DB entry from pacman 2 tools:
$ cat current/pacman-2.9.8-4/desc
%NAME%
pacman

%VERSION%
2.9.8-4

%DESC%
A .tar.gz based package manager with dependency support

%CSIZE%
488015

%MD5SUM%
c6e0ffd2fd0f8e69f9ba0cb9de8fcf64

We have 13 vs. 5 fields in the old. I don't know if this will be a
significant slowdown for pacman, but it will definitely be larger DB
downloads once you do this to every package in current or extra.