[pacman-dev] repo-add DB entry size

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:06:49 EDT 2007

2007/3/21, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> I've noticed that our sync DB entries got a lot bigger with the new
> repository generation tools. Are we sure we want this?
>
> Here is a DB entry produced by repo-add:
> $ cat custom/pacman-3.0.0-rc2/desc
> %FILENAME%
> pacman-3.0.0-rc2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>
> %NAME%
> pacman
>
> %VERSION%
> 3.0.0-rc2
>
> %DESC%
> A library-based package manager with dependency support
>
> %CSIZE%
> 791331
>
> %ISIZE%
> 2014429
>
> %MD5SUM%
> 263805fff1ce59550f37a22dac468a31
>
> %URL%
> http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/
>
> %LICENSE%
> GPL
>
> %ARCH%
> i686
>
> %BUILDDATE%
> Mon Mar 12 18:05:54 2007
>
> %PACKAGER%
> Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>
>
> %REPLACES%
> pacman-rc
>

> And a DB entry from pacman 2 tools:
> $ cat current/pacman-2.9.8-4/desc
> %NAME%
> pacman
>
> %VERSION%
> 2.9.8-4
>
> %DESC%
> A .tar.gz based package manager with dependency support
>
> %CSIZE%
> 488015
>
> %MD5SUM%
> c6e0ffd2fd0f8e69f9ba0cb9de8fcf64
>

> We have 13 vs. 5 fields in the old. I don't know if this will be a
> significant slowdown for pacman, but it will definitely be larger DB
> downloads once you do this to every package in current or extra.

IMHO %PACKAGER% can be removed (it's in .PKGINFO anyway).
Same for %ARCH% and %URL%.

%LICENSE% is not usefull yet, but it will be when Aaron's (IIRC)
proposal for license-dependent installs will be implemented.

%BUILDDATE% can be used for version comparison instead of
pkgver+pkgrel (this will effectively eliminate issues like "which is
newer 2.1 or 2.1a?" !!!), but we will have to use W3C's datetime
format.
Otherwise it's unneeded too (it's in .PKGINFO anyway).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)