[pacman-dev] Roadmap for 3.1

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:13:05 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like it's time to move towards a 3.1 release.  Dan and I both
> have a lot of items listed in our TODO lists, though most of them are
> code changes (doesn't affect the end user much).

Here we go, here's a roadmap for what I want to work on

OVERALL CHANGES
---------------
* Fully transition to git

CODE CHANGES
------------
* Revamp the current transaction setup.
    Proposed: alpm_trans_commit(pkgs_to_install, pkgs_to_remove)
    All conflict checking, freespace checking, etc should be done with
    non-transactional functions, such as a alpm_get_upgrades()
* New list type? Either way, I'd like to create distinct "package
list" and "string list" types
* Clean up some excess backend types (i.e. pmdepmissing_t)
* Add a pm_errstr compliment to pm_errno for libalpm textual errors
  (Apply gettext at the pacman level??)
* Move some libalpm function names/locations
    - No need to have alpm.c, move the public functions to the proper files
    - alpm_*_get_* functions probably don't need the "_get" part, as it's
      implied (MINOR)
* Rework libalpm -> frontend communication (question, event, and progess)
* Combine a handful of single-function src/pacman headers (i.e. sync.h)

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES
* Attempt to rebuild a corrupt DB entry if found
* Combine -U/-A code with -S code
    - Fix the "replacement" on -U/-A
* Other bugs/FRs in flyspray??