[pacman-dev] slower ftp access with pacman 3 ?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:35:02 EDT 2007

I'm using the same mirror (mir1.archlinuxfr.org) for the 5 repos
(testing current extra community unstable), and I found that syncing
was much slower after upgrading to pacman 3.
I made some measures using time pacman -Sy :
pacman 3
ftp : 4,3s
http : 0,5s
pacman 2
ftp : 2,5s
http : 4,5s

It looks like pacman 2 with http doesn't work correctly. It seems it's
the only case where pacman can't detect the databases didn't change,
and download them again.
So using http with pacman 3 is by far the fastest solution. What are
the downsides using http over ftp?
But this slowdown in pacman 3 with ftp is still strange. Any ideas
what could have caused it?

Also, it's funny what happens when, for example, downloading 2
packages from current :

>>> PWD
<<< 257 "/archlinux/0.8/os/i686"
>>> CDUP
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.
>>> PWD
<<< 257 "/archlinux/0.8/os"
>>> CDUP
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.
>>> PWD
<<< 257 "/archlinux/0.8"
>>> CDUP
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.
>>> PWD
<<< 257 "/archlinux"
>>> CWD current
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.
>>> CWD os
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.
>>> CWD i686
<<< 250 Directory successfully changed.

ie, libdownload is already in the correct directory,
/archlinux/0.8/os/i686 , but it doesn't know current is a link to 0.8
, so it believes it's in the wrong directory, and goes back to
/archlinux and returns in current/os/i686
I'm not sure if it's possible to avoid that though, is it?