[pacman-dev] slower ftp access with pacman 3 ?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:07:57 EDT 2007

2007/5/8, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:

> Yes, pacman moved from libftp to libdownload, a port of the BSD
> libfetch to Linux.

thanks for clearing this up, I was a bit confused with these 3 libs.

> Change the mirror file if you want. We aren't going to list duplicates
> of every server in the file, it is quite long as is.

I wasn't thinking about having both, just choosing the best default.

> I for one find FTP to be a faster protocol over a good connection-
> this is usually due to server setup because their ftp daemon is set up
> to serve small numbers of large files, while http is set up to serve
> large numbers of small files. Maybe that is all placebo effect, but I
> seem to notice it.

ok, if http is generally only faster for syncing, and ftp is generally
faster for downloading large files, then fair enough.
I'll just start using http for a while, and then decide only for
myself which one is better :)