[pacman-dev] The time has come- pacman 3.1 testing releases

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:13:50 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 4:03 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:58:03PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> > PKGBUILD/files: http://www.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-git/pacman-git/
> >

> I had two questions about depends and makedepends I forgot to ask :P
>
> 1) what's up with fakeroot? It was a dependency of pacman 3.0 and previous
> pacman 3.1 pkgbuild, but it's gone now.
> I may have read a discussion about this earlier, but totally forgot now..

We don't want to require users to have "development" tools on their
machines, and fakeroot falls into this category. pacman itself doesn't
require it, but makepkg does if you run it as a non-root user. Perhaps
I should put our optdepends array to early good use, at least to test
what I've implemented so far?

> 2) I believe docbook-xsl should be added to makedepends
> If I remember correctly, this is not a big problem, since in the final
> PKGBUILD, building of manpage will be disabled, but I mention it just in
> case.

Good catch, added. Clarification on the above- in the final package,
asciidoc will not be required, but it will also not be disabled. The
'make dist' target is set up to include the built manpages in the dist
tarball, so an end user building the package won't need to do this
themselves. I feel like we should do the doxygen manpages this way as
well...I'll look into that and then we can remove that as a
makedepend.