[pacman-dev] Delta testing

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:55:50 EST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 4:02 PM, Nathan Jones <nathanj at insightbb.com> wrote:

> I have created a repo for those you who may want to help test the xdelta
> code in pacman 3.1. There is just one package in the repo: deltatest. I
> will try to update the package at least once a day.
>
> Steps for delta goodness:
>
> 1. Install pacman from git
> 2. Install xdelta: pacman -S xdelta
> 3. Add UseDelta to your pacman.conf
> 4. Add the deltatest server to pacman.conf:
>
> [deltatest]
> Server = http://home.insightbb.com/~nathanj/dt
>
> 5. Install the package: pacman -Sy deltatest
> 6. Update the package whenever you want
> 7. Report many, many bugs

Awesome! I would be willing to turn my [pacman-git] repository into
one with deltas as well (as I will probably rebuild this any time we
check changes into master), should we try that? Nathan, can you give
me pointers as to what exactly I need to do to get this done? Is it
anything more than adding the xdelta option?

Speaking of the xdelta option- can I add that to either makepkg.conf
OR the package itself? I know some of our other options are like this,
and it would be a cool feature to say "never use xdelta on this
package" with options=(!xdelta). Or in this case, since I don't want
to build all my packages with deltas, can I tell it to just build this
one by using options=(xdelta)?