[pacman-dev] Asciidoc manpages

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Thu Nov 8 01:57:44 EST 2007

Dan McGee wrote:
> Does anyone on the list know a lot about Asciidoc? Specifically, I
> noticed that our manpage generation has gotten a bit weird. Notice
> that every manpage generated in the pacman-git release (or in your own
> working tree when using --enable-asciidoc) has:
> * a weird Notes section at the bottom
> * a broken "See Also" section (looks like the macro is busted or something)
>
> In addition, the PKGBUILD example nclude in PKGBUILD.5 does not look so hot.
>
> Does anyone (Andrew, are you still around?) want to look into this and
> see what they can come up with to fix it? I swear we had it working
> for a while, so this may be related to a docbook-xsl upgrade. If you
> do investigate, be sure whatever changes you make keep both the HTML
> and the manpage format looking OK.
>
> -Dan

Something's changed in the link expansion on man pages in the new version of asciidoc (8.2.3), the
previous version (8.2.2) works fine. Looking at the changelog there's 2 changes that might have
broken this

- Added VMiklos's permalink patch for auto-generated section IDs (enabled by default by the sectids
attribute). (http://www.mail-archive.com/asciidoc-discuss%40metaperl.com/msg00159.html)

- The nested inline macros restriction has now been lifted, for example you can now include links
and inline images inside footnotes.

If I get some free time I'll dig deeper.

Andrew

P.S. Real world stuff is keeping me very busy at the moment so pacman/arch has dropped off my radar
for the moment.