[pacman-dev] Adding namcap-git to the [pacman-git] repo

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:25:13 EST 2007

2007/11/8, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> There's like 40 things going on in this email.

Yeah, sorry. I like to create confusion :-)

> Firstly, the title - why would we combine the git repos? What benefits
> would we gain?

Ok, I think I must be going crazy. Some time ago I was browsing bug
reports/FRs for namcap to see if something had already been reported
and I read something (written in August) about the upcoming namcap 2.0
release. What I didn't notice prior to writing this e-mail is that I
was *already* using the new version.
Now, if I understood correctly the pacman-git repo was born to test
pacman as it approached 3.1, so this would have been a good base to
start testing namcap 2.0, too. If it wasn't already out. Shame on me.

> Secondly, you need to define "good shape" - all the devs use (or
> should use) namcap daily.

I do... "namcap" is my second name. In prospect of wide-audience
testing it would have been good to publish an unbroken package.

> Thirdly, it always makes sense to file a bug - if it is fixed in
> yet-unreleased-code then it will be closed.

Ok, finally I got something out of this otherwise pointless e-mail. I
wasn't sure about that: I always make a lot of mistakes, and I don't
want to steal precious time from devs. I'm not sure I'd try to report
a bug for the stable branch of pacman right now: probably it already
has been spotted.
That's why I wanted a namcap pre-release: check before making a mess.
Well, I managed to do it anyway.

Corrado