[pacman-dev] output issues

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 01:41:08 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 11:51 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> checking package integrity... done.
> (2/2) checking for file conflicts                   [---------------------] 100%
> warning: directory permissions differ on var/cache/pacman/  o  o  o  o  o ]   0%
> filesystem: 555  package: 755
> (1/2) upgrading pacman-git                          [---------------------] 100%
> (2/2) upgrading xscreensaver                        [---------------------] 100%
>
> Who wants to step up to the plate and fix this stuff? I'm sure Xavier
> can point us to the past conversations we've had on the subject, and
> we really should fix it.
>
> I liked the suggestion of buffering all these messages until after the
> progress bar reaches 100%,. Of course, this could be a hard change to
> make.

Hmmm. It's a decent suggestion, but it sounds annoying.... pseudo code:

def output(line):
    if progress_bar:
        list = alpm_list_add(list, line)

# we'd need an event here
def on_progress_complete():
    for line in list:
        output(line)

I'm not a fan of delayed execution like that, only because I slam my
head against it during the day... /me smirks