[pacman-dev] database on separate fs and inodes

Łukasz Wychrystenko t0 at czlug.icis.pcz.pl
Fri Nov 16 10:24:58 EST 2007

Dnia Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:12:13 +0100
Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> napisał(a):

> > Hi
> > Long story short: (before signing new bug i want to be sure)
> I suggest you to open a new task for this in FS; if this hasn't been
> reported yet.
Nah this was illusion ;]
> > After putting /var/lib/pacman on separate fs (raid1) i just messed
> > things a little and run out of inodes.
> >
> > # fsck.ext2 -pfv /dev/md1
> > 18072 inodes used (100.00%)
> >
> > Most important is what pacman did.
> > So after -Syu packages were updated and no changes in db was made.
> > Most important is that i pacman didn't show any error msg about
> > that.
> >
> > Today i trayed -Syu again i got last time installed packages list
> > added to new one. Pacman showed only packages list and size then
> > just quit w/o any error again.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to repair db and reproduce bug, but i think that
and i can't make its 'not' work again :)

> > quick fix for that is to make small change in pacman that first he
> > will tray to write db entry then packages files to disk.
> >
> > Sorry for my 'bad' English i hope that all catch my drift.
>
> Yes, this is a critical bug imho.
> To be short: At this moment pacman cannot rollback transaction (but
> it is planned: FS#8585)
> What is even worse (extra bug), it doesn't inform you about
> unsuccessful db operations (if I didn't misunderstand you); but you
Now there is a nice error msg:
# pacman -S perl-params-validate
error: could not open
file /var/lib/pacman/local//perl-params-validate-0.89-1/depends: No
space left on device error: could not update database entry
perl-params-validate-0.89-1 error: could not commit transaction error:
failed to commit transaction (could not update database)

but still after:

# pacman -S perl-params-validate
:: perl-params-validate-0.89-1: local
version is up to date. Upgrade anyway? [Y/n]

> Bye
Bye