[pacman-dev] conflict and provision versions

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Mon Nov 19 13:56:15 EST 2007

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:28:01PM +0100, Nagy Gabor wrote:
> > If a devel adds 'provision>=2.0-2' as depend, then this implicitly means
> that
> > not "all" 'provision 2.0-x' version would satisfy this depend; and
> 'provision
> > 2.0' says no info about -x...
>
> Versioned dependencies with a release are a minority. So it's not a big
> deal.
> If you still aren't satisfied, could we please talk about real cases where
> this kind of dependency is used?

This is exactly what I said: So if you just write "provision 2.0-1" then the 1
release doesn't count at all: you could write "provision 2.0-3" or whatever
release you want, that is not used in "real cases". As if you would have wrote
"provision 2.0".
But in the few cases where release is used, provision-release help us to decide.

Of course I can accept releaseless provision versions, but then we should review
alpm_versioncmp, because that is designed to work with _valid_ package versions
(imho). This is what I didn't want to do (I'm lazy), and gave this (not) strict
definition.

Bye