[pacman-dev] RootDir using symlinks -> problem

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:50:12 EDT 2007

On 9/29/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how bad is it to use a non standard (glibc specific) feature.
> This is maybe already done everywhere in pacman, I really don't have the
> slightest clue about this :)

This always scares me, but I guess they're saying something similar to
the fact that due to symlinks and such, the before or after path might
be larger than PATH_MAX so no one knows how to figure out the buffer
size.

For instance.... if we're hundreds of directories deep in a tree,
"./foo/bar" might be a valid path, but realpath is going to resolve
the "./" part to the hundreds of directories and overflow PATH_MAX.

It is an edge case, but the implications are scary.