[pacman-dev] pacman 3.1 release ?

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Thu Sep 20 07:45:01 EDT 2007

> Well, I'm all for going the easy way 1. :)
> I think the old behavior is acceptable, and that we can keep it for now,
> and avoid breaking the few pactests that depend on it.
> Your patch just needs to be slightly edited for doing that, right?
Right. You can simply replace the autoresolve stuff (around TODO) with an error
message.

But I must mention that (hopefully) my patch cannot break anything in the local
db, even if you let it remove one of the conflicting packages from target list
(my TODO says: let user choose); because the final dependency check is done just
before the commit. So if it could resolve the conflict, then everything is OK
(no dep/conflict error; apart from some orphan dependency install :-(), and if
the resolving breaks a dependency, pacman will stop with an error message (which
is the default behaviour now in case of target<->target conflict; however, user
may get some strange error message)
So 2. is already done by patch: It is difficult only if you want to solve some
really exotic cases (what I mentioned in 2.); pacman now stops with an error
message if it is not smart enough to do that (however, the problem may
solvable). Summary: with my patch pacman tries to resolve the target<->target
conflicts and it may not be clever enough to do that correctly, then it stops.

Bye, ngaba

PS: As I wrote this e-mail, the "assymmetric" conflict storing came into my mind
again: http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-August/009091.html