[pacman-dev] -Qu vs -Su

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:40:04 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:20:08PM +0200, Nagy Gabor wrote:
> > The issue reported by Dan is the following :
> > The -Qu output is different than -Su one, because -Su resolves dependencies,
> > while -Qu does not.
>
> IMHO -Qu is needless [I've never used that]. -Qu should do the same as
> alpm_sync_upgrade with some automatic answers (duplicated code or tricky
> transaction manipulations, grr), so user can also do -Su and break the transaction.

I never used -Qu either. But I believe it's used by a few package upgrade
notifiers.

duplicated code vs tricky transaction manipulations, I think that sums up the
problem well.
I wanted to avoid the first, and Aaron want to avoid the second..

> > My first question : is that really an issue?
>
> IMHO yes;-) However, in most cases the "output of -Su" == "output of current
> -Qu" [if the user's database is not broken and updated version of a local
> package doesn't need some extra dependencies <=> upgrading all local package is
> enough to satisfy dependencies]

You are right. There shouldn't be any differences in most cases, only from
times to times, which is also why it's not a big deal.