[pacman-dev] .pacnew created when not needed, was: [signoff] openssh 5.0p1

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 05:13:36 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Roman Kyrylych
<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
>   0) I have clean install from 0.4 archboot iso (IIRC) in vmware with
>   pacman 3.1.3 and no openssh, only some packages were upgraded, so
>   package database is not broken

Hmm, you had 3.1.3, but which libarchive version?
As Dan previously stated, the main reason for 3.1.4 release was this commit :
http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=3fe43ffa04efd9937205938ef74d9dbba1a7aa42;hp=562442633a9dd8026d914d785f15de2d0a95fdef

> Logs are attached.
> As can be seen from upgrade.log pacman makes a wrong decission when
> comparing existing, new and original md5sums (original is empty).

pacman didn't make a wrong decision, the problem is indeed that the
original md5sum is empty. This could for example be caused by the bug
fixed by the above commit.