[pacman-dev] Splitting packages with makepkg

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 14 10:29:36 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Now that pacman 3.2 is out the door and the initial bug fixes appear
done, I am going to work on adding the package splitting feature to makepkg.

So the time has come for some input on the prototype PKGBUILD for
splitting packages again.  We discussed this a couple of months ago on
this list
(http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-June/012123.html).  From
that discussion I have come up with a PKGBUILD prototype which I like
(prototype 1 at http://dev.archlinux.org/~allan/splitpkg.html) which is
inspired by the KDEMod method but has a few significant differences.

This is a call for comments or other prototypes to implement this
function.  Some "rules" to help us all with this:

1) If submitting a new idea, attach a complete prototype (based on the
one distributed with pacman) so we can see all details of how the
packaging is done.  Add notes if necessary.  Point out the advantages of
your method.

2) Note that the ability to separate the building and packaging stages
of a PKGBUILD is going to be added to makepkg so that fakeroot is used
for the smallest amount of time.  Any new prototype should account for this.

3) No comments about how splitting packages is bad and this will be the
ruin of Arch.  Arch does not favor package splitting in its main repos
and this will not change that fact.

Allan