[pacman-dev] Splitting packages with makepkg

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:04:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Henning Garus
<henning.garus at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is one build function enough? In an older thread someone (Aaron I
> think) talked about building packages with different configurations
> from one packagebuild. I am not sure you can do this with one build
> function. What you could do, is using the package functions to do this,
> this would go against the "minimal fakeroot usage" thing, but is
> probably sufficent for something rather uncommon. An alternative would
> be, checking for build_pkgname functions and calling them if they are
> defined.

In my opinion, it is "sufficient for something rather uncommon".
And in the normal usage with one build function and several package
functions, the fakeroot usage would already be less than now since the
build function does not need it.

But I find the build_pkgname idea decent, so no strong opinion on my
part. And anyway, it will be up to the people implementing it :)

> 2) This is a bit implementation specific, but I think it is important.
> Is there any way, except parsing the PKGBUILD file, to get the contents
> of all depends arrays, to check the depends before building the package?
> If not, overriding depends could be problematic.

That is important indeed and I never thought about it. But finally it
looks fine.
You have the main depends array that is used for the build() function,
which is checked before building the package. So there, you put all
dependencies required for building.
And then, each package is free to override it, probably for only
having a subset of the original depends array.