[pacman-dev] Splitting packages with makepkg

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 14 22:57:23 EDT 2008

Henning Garus wrote:
> Silly things first, you're missing a 2 in your pkgname array.

I had fixed that then didn't save before I uploaded it...

> Now my (maybe) more useful comments:
>
> This looks very much like the PKGBUILD I already had in my head after
> reading the other threads and thinking about splitting packages. While
> thinking I became unsure about two things:
>
> 1) Is one build function enough? In an older thread someone (Aaron I
> think) talked about building packages with different configurations
> from one packagebuild. I am not sure you can do this with one build
> function. What you could do, is using the package functions to do this,
> this would go against the "minimal fakeroot usage" thing, but is
> probably sufficent for something rather uncommon. An alternative would
> be, checking for build_pkgname functions and calling them if they are
> defined.

Two build functions sounds like it would require two install functions
(as each package would probably have to add a conflict to the other)
which is really two PKGBUILDs.  I am not against adding this at the same
time but I would need to be convinced with a (useful) real world example
here.

> 2) This is a bit implementation specific, but I think it is important.
> Is there any way, except parsing the PKGBUILD file, to get the contents
> of all depends arrays, to check the depends before building the package?
> If not, overriding depends could be problematic.

As Xavier pointed out, I think that there would a big use of makedepends
and overriding of depends in the individual package functions.  In fact,
I am not sure what the depends array at the top of the PKGBUILD actually
means with split packages...

Allan