[pacman-dev] Pacman contributors/developers (was: Fix bug 9395)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:19:28 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Bryan Ischo
<bji-keyword-pacman.3644cb at www.ischo.com> wrote:
> This sounds like a good idea.  But it would involve greater changes to
> libalpm then I felt comfortable doing.  Unfortunately, when one is just a
> patch contributor rather than a real developer, one feels the need to keep
> all changes as minimal as possible, instead of reaching into lots of parts
> of the code and doing cleanups and refactoring and such.  But I would be
> happy to do some of that, once I feel more comfortable with the code base.

Just wanted to set the record straight here- if you are a patch
contributor, you are a developer in my mind. I don't think the old
timers or new timers are perfectly happy with the shape libalpm is in,
so feel free to hack things up if it results in long term improvement.

We definitely have done a lot of refactoring and cleanup to the code,
but there is no shortage of places that could still use a good rework
or rewrite.

Obviously it is best if you can separate your work into patch chunks
that are easier to digest, but sometimes that just isn't possible. GIT
makes it real easy to go back and refactor your refactorings as you
can easily mix and match your patches.