[pacman-dev] Thoughts of a 3.1.2 release

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:40:47 EST 2008

Here is the current git shortlog since the last release:

$ git shortlog v3.1.1..maint
Alex Merry (1):
      updatesync: incorrect package deletion logic

Chantry Xavier (9):
      workaround for a gettext string starting with --.
      two string fixes.
      makepkg : improve determination of svn revision.
      Clarify the "cancel current operation" message.
      repo-remove: print an error in case of an empty db
      Clarify the "failed to add target" errors.
      add 'force' to PKGINFO, have repo-add respect it.
      Add new ChangeLog.proto file.
      Don't follow symlinks with -Qo.

Dan McGee (7):
      makepkg: add check to ensure we have non-URL files in build dir
      Remove frontend translation of "debug:" message
      doc/makepkg.8: add missing '-' to manpage option
      makepkg: ensure binaries in /opt/* are stripped
      Add deprecation warnings to gensync and updatesync
      doc/makepkg: document --log, address locale issues
      pacman/util.c: add mdirname function

Roman Kyrylych (1):
      Remove /bin/true from install.proto

Given this list of changes, I think it would be prudent to think about
a 3.1.2 release soon, although it is not something we need to rush out
as there is nothing pressing like the provides logic prior to 3.1.1.

Here are some issues I think we should address before prepping for release:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9362 - Any opinions here? Put them in
the bug report.
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9242 - Still not completely sure if
this is easily solvable
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9230 - Deals with makepkg/versionpkg
stuff, should be an easy fix

Please add any (constructive) comments you may have, and quote the
relevant parts of this email. *Please* keep it limited to things that
would make it into 3.1.2- if it is clearly something that can't fit in
a maint release, I won't even bother responding.

A second email will follow this one with some things that Xavier has
brought up he thinks need addressing. Some of these are relevant for
3.1.2, others may be a bit further in the future.