[pacman-dev] -Sc and shared cache

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:40:31 EST 2008

2008/2/15, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com>:
> This was already discussed here :
>  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-January/010940.html
>
>  And then more recently in bbs :
>  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43809
>
>  The guy there started to write a little script on his own, and that made
>  me realize that the behavior he wanted is actually pretty close to the
>  current -Sc code. Only a small part needs to be changed, most of the
>  code can be re-used. But instead of only keeping the packages which are
>  in the local database, we would keep the packages which are in a sync
>  database.
>  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=330487#p330487
>
>  So I hacked a patch together. It's not really usable yet, because it's
>  not configurable , only the second behavior will be used. It's only a
>  proof of concept for now. (and anyway, it only prints the package that
>  it wants to remove, it doesn't actually remove them, for testing purpose)
>  I just wanted to know what others think about proposing two different
>  behaviors for -Sc, and how the user could choose between both (maybe an
>  additional flag, but which?).

Great work!
+111 from me for keeping the current behaviour of -Sc as the default
and bring back the old -Sc behaviour available with some extra flag.
I think it can be pacman.conf-only, so it can be long-named
(e.g. KeepNotInstalledButUpToDatePackagesInCache ;-P)
I think users will prefer only one behaviour for all -Sc operations anyway.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)