[pacman-dev] Conf file mis-configuration by users

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Jan 11 12:53:10 EST 2008

On 1/11/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 10:51 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Travis Willard wrote:
> > > http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=315809#p315809
> > >
> > > I see this happening all the time - people want to enable a repo, ONLY
> > > uncomment the Include line, then complain when it doesn't work.  I
> > > know it's PEBKAC, but can anyone think of a way we could change the
> > > conf file to decrease the amount of times this happens?
> > >
> > > Will an additional comment actually help?  Is there a better way to
> > > get this point across, say reorganization of the file?
> > >

> > I agree, this issue is happening all the time. it's unbelievable.
> > To be honest, this issue always reminds me of your sync / local split
> > proposal (its goal was also limiting pebkac), so I was counting on you
> > :) I already tried to think about reoganizing the file but didn't come
> > up with anything.
>
> We are not using a crazy config file. It is basically ini format,
> which is quite standard, and I don't know a better way to go. All I
> can say is adding a comment saying "# don't be a bonehead and
> UNCOMMENT the [repo] headers!" or something.
>
> > > I'd make a patch for the conf file with a super comment warning
> > > against this, but I noticed all repo configuration was removed from
> > > pacman.conf in the pacman.git repo - maybe this discussion doesn't
> > > even belong on the pacman-dev list anymore?  :P
> > >

> > Well, afaik the pacman package is on topic here, so even if the conf
> > file is moved from the git repo to the package, this discussion still
> > belongs here. You can always just attach the whole file.
> > But I should rather let Dan answer since he knows better.
>
> Comment is not a bad idea, although I just shake my head every time I
> see these threads. Editors do have syntax highlighting too, which
> makes this more obvious. I guess firing up the Gnome text editor as
> root probably doesn't though. :)

Even the best laid plans can be foiled by people who don't read
documentation, or don't ask questions.
Even my toaster came with a 'how to make toast' guide in the box. I
liked the part about 'insert bread into toaster slots'.

I say leave it as it is, and just include some verbiage in the arch
install guide, and pacman man page about it.