[pacman-dev] Pacman, sqlite and dialectic of competent people

Giuseppe Fuggiano giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 06:19:11 EST 2008

JJDaNiMoTh wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:35:08 +0100
> "Manuel \"ekerazha\" C." <manuel at ekerazha.com> wrote:
>> [cut]
>
> I don't want to troll there, only one suggestion ( then I go to write
> some code ):
>
> Effectively, pacman needs 40 seconds to perform a search.. using kernel
> cache is a workaround. Isn't against any law, but using it is
> equivalent to hide pacman inefficiency.

Hi everybody, I agree with JJDaNiMoTh.
Here some tests on my machine too:

[root /home/giuseppe ]# sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
[root /home/giuseppe ]# time pacman -Qi > /dev/null

real    0m17.745s          [not cached]
user    0m1.057s
sys     0m1.107s
[root /home/giuseppe ]# time pacman -Qi > /dev/null

real    0m1.166s            [cached]
user    0m1.017s
sys     0m0.120s

---

[root /home/giuseppe ]# sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
[root /home/giuseppe ]# time pacman -Qg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m8.944s          [not cached]
user    0m0.117s
sys     0m0.840s
[root /home/giuseppe ]# time pacman -Qg gnome > /dev/null

real    0m0.216s            [cached]
user    0m0.127s
sys     0m0.063s

---