[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Sun Jan 27 14:46:53 EST 2008

On 1/27/08, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 12:31 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > This is exactly what I think is a bad idea.  I wouldn't want someone
> > to query a server when they searched the filelist.. maybe I'm alone in
> > this sentiment.
>
> I agree - if this is to be done, it's to be done in a downloadable,
> offline file.

Crazy idea.
Why not make it a pacman package?

    $ pacman -S repo-filelist

that would be able to use our current mirror system, we can push out
updates whenever we want, people can easily opt in, or remove it later
if they need to, and the package size wouldn't be a whole lot larger
than say...the kernel.

We could even include a query utility, that calls zgrep on a
compressed file or something.

    $ repo-filelist "*gcc*"
     usr/bin/gcc-3.3|gcc3
     usr/bin/gcc-3.4|gcc34