[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:31:47 EST 2008

On Sun 2008-01-27 11:46 , eliott wrote:
> On 1/27/08, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 2008 12:31 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > This is exactly what I think is a bad idea.  I wouldn't want someone
> > > to query a server when they searched the filelist.. maybe I'm alone in
> > > this sentiment.
> >
> > I agree - if this is to be done, it's to be done in a downloadable,
> > offline file.
>
> Crazy idea.
> Why not make it a pacman package?
>
>     $ pacman -S repo-filelist
>
> that would be able to use our current mirror system, we can push out
> updates whenever we want, people can easily opt in, or remove it later
> if they need to, and the package size wouldn't be a whole lot larger
> than say...the kernel.
> [...]

I had the same idea, but I decided it wasn't a great one because to be useful it
should be updated every time a new package is released, and IMHO that's not
feasible (mainly for the user), considering its size.

I still think the best implementation is to create a filelist with repo-add (or
whatever script you use to generate the db) on the Arch server and then let is
spread in the mirrors. As someone already wrote, xdelta would decrease
dramatically the size of the filelist to download.

--
Alessio Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB