[pacman-dev] pacman i18n

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:28:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Hugo and i am new in this ML, but i already contribute with
> pacman's translations to pt_BR.
>
> Recently i turned a Arch developer and i am creating a i18n project
> for it. I would like to integrate all pacman's po files to the
> project. I would also like to make all the translation process more
> transparent.
>
> The page of the project can be viewed here (i still need to finish some parts):
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> I will be moving it to dev.archlinux.org soon.
>
> If you take a look on the page you will notice that i also created a
> .POT file for repo-add (using xgettext). Where is the POT file that
> you provide? I did not found.
All these strings should already be in the pacman POT file. As Xavier
already said, the current translation layout is one for libalpm, and
one for every other "frontend" tool.

> I saw that pacman 3.2 is with string freeze and that a call for
> translators was opened. This is the kind of thing that would fit in
> this i18n project. How can integrate everything?
pacman is one of those things that shouldn't have tight integration
with Arch- I have been working on trying to decrease its Arch
dependence, not increase it. The translation files for pacman will
always remain separate from any other files. Of course, the
translators and effort put into this project can hopefully be pooled.