[pacman-dev] Translation errors

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:31:53 EDT 2008

Matthias Gorissen wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 17 Juli 2008 08:41:15 schrieb Xavier:
>
>> and I see that the German translation still includes
>> [Y/n],
>
> ... and what is even worse, it should be [J/n] in German. That particular line
> was a mess in older versions, anyway.
>
> I'll fix it this night. However, is it correct that [Y/n] still appears in the
> msgid (line 1221):
>
> msgid "    Are you sure you wish to do this? [Y/n] "
> msgstr "    Sind Sie sicher, dass Sie dies tun möchten? [J/n]"

Hm good point. This one is in makepkg, so it is normal indeed, it was
not affected by the new Y/n handling inside pacman.
However, the above translation is wrong too, you have to keep the [Y/n]
intact, because the check itself is not localized.
That means that when you have to answer that question, it will only
accept yes or y (case insensitive), and not ja or j.

Again, all what said above only concerns makepkg. For pacman everything
is localized, which is why you need to translate all these strings :
[Y/n] , [y/N], YES, NO, etc

But it would probably make more sense to just do exactly the same thing
in makepkg, and it should be rather easy. Besides, as a benefit of
having only one .po file for both makepkg and pacman, we can just reuse
all the above strings.