[pacman-dev] Translation errors

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:27:46 EDT 2008

2008/7/17 Juan Pablo Gonzalez T. <lord_jotape at yahoo.com.ar>:
> El Thursday 17 July 2008 12:50:13 Matthias Gorissen escribió:
>> Am Donnerstag 17 Juli 2008 08:41:15 schrieb Xavier:
>> > and I see that the German translation still includes
>> > [Y/n],
>>
>> ... and what is even worse, it should be [J/n] in German. That particular
>> line was a mess in older versions, anyway.
>>
>> I'll fix it this night. However, is it correct that [Y/n] still appears in
>> the msgid (line 1221):
>>
>> msgid "    Are you sure you wish to do this? [Y/n] "
>> msgstr "    Sind Sie sicher, dass Sie dies tun möchten? [J/n]"
> long time ago i changed the [Y/n] with [S/n] and the users told me that the s
> key was not recognized by pacman. In that time i ask for a change in the way
> of process the answer ( n for not and everything else for yes, but the idea
> was rejected.)
>
> I don't know if pacman changed that, i'm a little confused because some
> translations use both (for example, the fr one).
>
> In other words, i think you must let the [Y/n] message untouched.
>
> if i am wrong, please tell me for change the questions options.

Translation of [Y/n] is possible, but I guess it's the decision of translator
if it should be translated.
The problem it cannot be translated to some languages (e.g. East-European)
because users of those languages usually have 2-3 different keyboard layouts.
For example many people in my country use English, Ukrainian and Russian
layouts simultaneously, so switching them just to answer the [Y/n] question
is PITA.
This problem doesn't exist for users which use only Latin-based layout, I guess.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)