[pacman-dev] pacman i18n

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 11:26:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dan can still host the POT files and I can only put a link to them at
>> the i18n project page. I think that have a translators list on the
>> page is important. This facilitates communication and can prevent
>> someone translate something that is already being translated.
>>

> Dan already host all pot and po files, he already gave a link to them
> and to translation instructions in the string freeze announcement :
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2008-July/018245.html
>
> While I am perfectly sure you only have good intentions, and the page
> looks pretty cool, the content is currently not so nice. It provides
> different pot files and different instructions than the pacman
> project. I am worried someone could fall on that and start translating
> from scratch a file that is already translated.
> It also shows an incomplete and different list of translators for
> pacman and libalpm.
>
> For a project like the installer which has currently no translations,
> that is all good.
> For a project like pacman which already has translations and a way to
> deal with them, you should either simply give links, or integrate the
> same contents, information and instructions. Starting something in
> parallel for this kind of stuff does not do any good in my opinion.
>
> Though don't believe I am angry or anything, I am simply trying to
> explain why I think the current page should be changed.

I have to side with Xavier here. Furthermore, I/we always liked to
think of pacman as a "non-Arch specific" project. That is, it's
attempted to be developed in a way such that other distros can
actually use it, and not just Arch. So integrating translations into
an Arch specific project is kinda breaking that separation