[pacman-dev] 3.2 "RC" release

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 07:13:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
>> One last problem : the pacman.conf needs to be updated.
>> Most important points :
>> 1) remove unstable mirror section
>> 2) add SyncFirst
>>
> This may be an overkill, but this can be mentioned in .INSTALL file
> too, because user may omit pacman.conf.pacnew. Or give a general
> message: "New options were added to pacman.conf, please check
> pacman.conf.pacnew (if it exists) and pacman.conf manual for details"

Well I am not sure Dan would like that after what he said here :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-July/007136.html

The impression I got from this is to try to limit the install messages
as much as possible, only keeping the critical stuff that would
prevent pacman from functioning properly.
This is not the case here, pacman 3.2 still works properly with the old config.

Then it is the user's duty to make sure all .pacnew files are merged.
Ideally, just after an upgrade.
But running pacdiff regularly to make sure nothing was missed does not
hurt either.