[pacman-dev] 3.1.3 release?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:21:50 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:11:26AM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> Here is what I am going to say on this, and unless anyone has some
> real good objections, we're going with this. Start by reading this:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Charset-conversion
>
> All of our translations are currently in UTF-8 except for hu. The
> encoding of the translation has zero bearing on what you use on your
> actual system, and for ease of use by others doing work on pacman and
> the translations, it is best to use a universal encoding (rather than
> assume we have this specific charset enabled on our machine, which my
> VIM seems to balk on).
>
> With this said, would it be a huge problem if we just went to the
> UTF-8 standard for all translations? As you can see below, I
> unfortunately did not catch that the conversion didn't change the
> Content-Type heading which it should have. UTF-8 is universal and
> works for everyone as a format for message files. We don't even need
> to discuss your particular choice of locale as that is irrelevant at
> this stage of the game. That is all handled internally by gettext.

Oh, I see, it all doesn't matter that much then, it's all transparent for the
user.
So Nagy wouldn't be affected as an user by that rule. But he would still be
affected as a translator, right?
But well, files can be easily converted, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

And any way, I still vote for having all translations in pacman repo in
UTF-8, because that would be nicer, more consistent and universal.