[pacman-dev] Case sensitive options in pacman.conf

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 13:59:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:14:17AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  So I would vote for only allowing case sensitive options in pacman.conf, to
>  > >  treat all locales equally, and cleaning the code :)
>  >
>  > I originally brought this up to Dan when I made the tr_TR change. I
>  > was for case-sensitive compares, but I think Dan had a bit of an issue
>  > with it. Dan, do you remember what it was?
>  >

>  15:40 <toofishes> i'm sure it is used by a handful of people
>  15:41 <toofishes> i know it isn't the prettiest, but i don't have a good
>  reason to get rid of it (as it has been this way for a long time, we just
>  fixed the issues with i <-> I)
>
>  And vmiklos said it was probably used by many users :
>  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-August/009168.html
>
>  I doubt that many users use it, since every keywords present in the default
>  pacman.conf have that same case format (RootDir, CacheDir, etc)

Glad you brought this up and it got a bunch of responses.

Looks like I am a bit in the minority here, and we probably would be
OK just doing the CamelCase option names *if* we document this point
in pacman.conf.5.

Xavier, want to toss a patch into the mix here that cleans up the
strcmp() usage AND documents the case-sensitivity in the manpage?