[pacman-dev] PacTrac was: Re: [arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Raymano Garibaldi raymano at faunos.com
Thu Mar 27 10:01:53 EDT 2008

PacTrac is based on the Andy Robert's Jacman. It is GPL v2. Along with
other FaunOS source code, PacTrac source code is available from the
FaunOS svn repos at http://svn.faunos.com.

You can browse it here:
http://viewvc.faunos.com/viewvc.cgi/src/pactrac/trunk/

And the PKGBUILD is available here:
http://viewvc.faunos.com/viewvc.cgi/pkgbuilds/extra/pactrac/trunk/

Lack of documentation for libalpm is the main reason why we didn't use
it. As far as I'm concerned the libalpm documentation is a joke
(http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/libalpm.3.html).  We also read in the
forums and the pacman website that it was not finalized and it might
change.

You can not expect people to use an API that has no clear
documentation and no stable interface that they can count on. And you
can not expect a developer to try to figure out an API by scanning
mailing lists, at least not this one. If it takes anyone longer to
figure out an API than write their own software, well guess what
they're going to do.

Currently I am keeping a close eye on Shaman, http://shaman.iskrembilen.com
Very promising but hasn't stablized yet.

Regards,
Raymano