[pacman-dev] PacTrac was: Re: [arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Mar 27 10:03:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:20:57PM +0100, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or maybe it should just be directly written in a language where ppl
> could more easily write a gui (or other tools) in? Like python maybe.
> That way, anyone can write pacman related tools without reinventing the
> wheel every single time.
> Seeing all these tools either calling pacman directly, or redoing all
> the work themselves by parsing the config and metainfo files make me cry.

we use libpacman is several places:

* splitting the repo to several cds (if foo depends on bar, then foo
  can't be on cd1 if bar is on cd2)
* testsuite (for exaple for checking if foo depends on bar, then bar
  should be in the repo as well)
* gfpm

probably at other places as well.

and this would not be possible if originally there would be no libalpm.
so don't think it was a useless work! :)