[pacman-dev] PacTrac was: Re: [arch-general] [arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Thu Mar 27 10:37:44 EDT 2008

> pl
> could more easily write a gui (or other tools) in? Like python maybe.
> That way, anyone can write pacman related tools without reinventing
> the wheel every single time.
> Seeing all these tools either calling pacman directly, or redoing all
> the work themselves by parsing the config and metainfo files make me
> cry.

I agree. Personally I think that the main reason for missing GUI is
simple: ArchLinux users don't really need that. And we are not
motivated in developing GUIs neither.
As a programmer, I think that libalpm is more than programmer
friendly. However, we don't have full documentation yet...

I agree with vmiklos, that missing config parser can also be a
small reason here. Independent from this, personally I would use an
external "powerful" config parser/WRITER library (no, not XML;-).
In my own projects I'm using scconf:
http://www.opensc-project.org/pam_pkcs11/browser/trunk/src/scconf, but
that is not suitable here (missing Include directive).

Bye