[pacman-dev] Libraries for makepkg

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 23:16:20 EDT 2008

What are peoples opinions on adding some libraries to makepkg that would
quickly achieve some common tasks
(http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10375)?  I think this is a trade of
between the ease of interpretation of a single command and understanding
what that command actually does.  The need to import the function before
use makes me lean on the side of including these.

If we go for this, I would recommend some fairly strict guidelines on
their inclusion. e.g.
1) The function must be a command block in common use or have a good
case made for why it will be in the future.
2) The function must be significantly complex so that using it helps
with interpretation of the PKGBUILD.

I can think of one function which would save a lot of discussion around
here:
create_desktop_file(<progname>, <description>, <category>)

Allan